Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Perfect Parasailing Day

While I stood on the grey shell-scattered shore, the seemingly endless ocean called my name. The waves crashed; the seagulls soared. Everything was pleasant there. The giant jellyfish bobbed their way through life, clueless of the world around them. The electric eels slithered in mid-sea, defying gravity. The dolphins played and laughed aloud, enjoying their own vivacity. The turquoise and tangerine sky offset the cobalt ocean. Countless velutinous clouds scattered the stratosphere, decorating the candy-colored scene. The day I went parasailing was perfect.

I had always wondered what it would be like to fly, to see everything from a bird's eye view. I had always wanted to float, to defy gravity. I've never flown in a plane; I've never climbed a rock wall. I've never been skydiving; I've never been base jumping. Parasailing was my chance to have an amazing adventure, so I seized the opportunity.

Anticipation engulfed me as I strapped on a lemon-colored life jacket and boarded the banana boat. The boat bounced its way through the breaking waves, tossing unsuspecting passengers overboard. When the banana boat finally finished its long journey over the low tide, I took a leap of faith onto the powerboat to begin my long-awaited parasailing journey.

I entertained none of the instructor's directions as he buckled a parachute tightly around my soaking wet body. I readied myself for takeoff as the safety cord was being attached to my parachute harness. A feeling of tranquility came over me as I ascended into midair above the beautiful beach. The ocean's mystery beckoned me as I took a look at the delicate driftwood on the beach. A gently blowing breeze lifted my sprits as I admired the never-ending serenity of pure nature. I reached out and tasted the cotton candy clouds. I looked down just in time to notice a sea turtle wink at me and plunge underwater. From a seagull's eye view, I could see every creature in the ocean. The stingrays shuffled along the shore; the crabs crawled among the sand. The fish flew through the water; the birds bolted through the sky. The shark danced his silent ballet; all the fish ran away. A clownfish poked his head out of his anemone; a velvet flatworm went out for a stroll. All the animated animals only added to the perfect peace of that day.

I found out just how birds view people: like busy little ants, oblivious of the overwhelming awesomeness of the air. A family noticed me, but went along on their way. A dog barked, but his owner dragged him onward. A child looked up and saw me, but got distracted again by his intricate sandcastle. While I wondered if he would also like to fly, I was awestruck by a fellow parasailer across the beach. I marveled at this sight, and contemplated whether or not she was thinking about the same things I was. I finally got the chance to be a kite for a day, and in the middle of the sky, attached to reality by just a parachute, I had never felt safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment